Skylights are the obvious solution if you’re looking for an environmentally friendly way to light and heat your home. Skylights can offer several benefits compared to traditional lighting methods, including reductions in energy consumption, improved air quality and quality of life, and even cost savings. In this blog post, we’ll explore why skylights are a great green energy solution for your home.
Skylights are windows, typically placed on the roof of a house, that allow natural or solar light to enter. Today, they are widely used in both residential and commercial settings for their aesthetic value, energy efficiency, and potential health benefits.
Roof Window Skylights: These are the most popular type of skylight installed directly on the roof. They offer an unobstructed sky view, perfect for stargazing or watching storms roll in.
Tubular Skylights: Tubular skylights are small, dome-shaped skylights that fit into a hole in the roof and use reflective tubing or insulation to direct light into the room below.
Fixed Skylights: Unlike roof windows and tubular skylights, fixed skylights don’t open. They provide a fixed amount of light in the room below.
Deck and Patio Skylights: Deck and patio skylights allow natural sunlight to enter outdoor living spaces like patios and decks. These skylights are typically made of a durable material that can withstand weather and climate conditions.
There are a number of reasons why skylights make great green energy solutions:
Skylights can reduce the need for electric lighting during the day, translating to lower electricity bills and fewer emissions from power plants. Skylights can also reduce the need for air conditioning during warmer months, as they allow cool air to enter your home and help keep it more relaxed.
Skylights let in natural light, which helps prevent the growth of mold and mildew. This can improve indoor air quality and make your home healthier to live in. They also provide a source of natural ventilation, which can reduce the need for air conditioning and improve indoor air quality.
Skylights help make rooms brighter and more inviting. They create a connection between the indoors and outdoors that can provide psychological benefits and improved well-being. Natural sunlight is proven to boost mood and promote good sleep.
They Save Money…Continuously
Skylights might not be the cheapest to have installed, but they save money in the long run. A properly-positioned skylight can flood your home with natural light, reducing the need to incorporate artificial light, ultimately resulting in less electricity being consumed. Furthermore, skylights also qualify for a tax credit of up to $1200. You can even get a free tax calculator to help you do the math.
When it comes to skylight installation, there are a few things to consider before you begin. Here are some of the things to keep in mind:
Consider the size of the room and the angle of the roof to determine the appropriate size and placement of skylights. Maximize natural light by positioning skylights strategically based on the orientation of your home.
Opt for skylights with low-emissivity (low-E) coatings and double or triple glazing to enhance energy efficiency. Choose skylights that minimize heat loss or gain, helping to maintain a comfortable indoor temperature.
Determine the purpose of your skylights—whether it’s to bring more natural light into a specific area or provide ventilation. Select the appropriate skylight type, such as fixed skylights or vented skylights, based on your specific needs.
Hiring a professional for skylight installation ensures proper sealing, insulation, and waterproofing. Professional installers have the expertise to prevent potential leaks or damage, giving you peace of mind.
Skylights can be installed by a professional roofer like Mighty Dog Roofing in South Easton, MA, or you can DIY your own skylight installation. Before starting the installation process, it’s essential to consult with a qualified professional and make sure that you have all of the necessary materials and tools.
The installation typically involves cutting a hole in the roof, installing flashing to prevent water from entering the home, and installing the skylight itself. Professional installers will ensure the skylight is properly sealed to keep rain, snow, wind, and insects out of your home.
If you are going to install them yourself, it’s important to follow safety guidelines and use the suitable materials for your roof type. But if you’re unsure about doing it yourself, it’s best to hire a professional roofer who can guarantee the job is done correctly.
To keep your skylights in optimal condition and prolong their lifespan, regular maintenance and care are essential. Here are some tips to help you maintain your skylights:
- Cleaning: Regularly clean both the interior and exterior surfaces of your skylights to remove dirt, dust, and debris. Use a non-abrasive cleaner and a soft cloth or sponge to avoid scratching the glass or frame.
- Inspect Seals and Flashing: Periodically inspect the seals and flashing around your skylights to ensure they are intact and in good condition. Look for any signs of cracking, deterioration, or gaps that may cause water leaks. If you notice any issues, contact a professional for repairs.
- Clear Gutters and Drainage: Ensure that the gutters and drainage channels around your skylights are clear of leaves, twigs, or other debris that can obstruct the flow of water. This helps prevent water buildup and potential leaks during heavy rainfall.
- Check for Condensation: Keep an eye out for condensation on the interior surface of your skylights. Excessive condensation may indicate a problem with insulation or ventilation. If you notice persistent condensation, consult a professional to address the issue.
- Trim Surrounding Trees: If you have trees near your skylights, regularly trim branches that may pose a risk of falling or scraping against the glass during storms or high winds.
- Address Issues Promptly: If you notice any water leaks, cracks, or damage to your skylights, it’s important to address them promptly. Ignoring these issues can lead to further damage and costly repairs down the line.
Skylights are a great green energy solution for your home. Many people find that they reduce energy consumption, improve air quality, and even improve their quality of life. However, it’s essential to ensure the skylight is installed correctly to maximize its benefits. So, it’s worth considering professional roofers to help you install your skylights quickly and safely. Hopefully, this article has helped you understand why skylights are green energy solutions you can add to your home!