Ring Video doorbells are one of the most popular and one-stop solutions for enhancing home security. It comes in various sizes and offers different models for varying requirements. The support system is also quite active and of the best in class, which offers 24 hours monitoring as well as emergency supports. But like any outdoor surveillance device, Ring video doorbell is also fitted outdoors, which means they are prone to the impact of weather as not all the houses have a covered porch.
Therefore, in this article, we are going to discuss the resistance of Ring video doorbell to water, i.e., can ring video doorbell get wet. What will be the impact on your device when it comes in contact with rain? How to keep your device protected from ever-changing weather? But before moving further, let us also take a quick peek on the different Ring Video Doorbell.
What products does Ring Video Doorbell Offer?
Ring Peephole Cam – It is best suited for people living in an apartment or in a rented home that has a doorbell along with a peephole. The Ring Peephole Cam makes use of the peephole of your door, and it comes with features like knock sensors creating a measure of security for your home. You can still be able to use the pre-existing peephole.
- Upgrade your door’s peephole with a 1080p HD video doorbell that enables you to see, hear, and speak to visitors from anywhere.
- Get alerts on your phone, tablet, and PC when anyone knocks on your door, presses the doorbell button, or triggers the motion sensors.
- Peephole Cam is easy to install and comes with all the tools you need to replace your peephole in under 5 minutes; no wiring or drilling required.
- Connect your Ring doorbell with Alexa to hear announcements on your compatible Echo device when your doorbell is pressed and see a live view of your camera if you have an Echo device with a screen. Talk to visitors by saying “Alexa, talk to the front door.”
- Advanced Motion Detection lets you easily adjust the built-in motion sensors to focus on and detect what’s important to you.
The Ring Video Doorbell 3 – It is the most versatile doorbell and is the starting range of a very improved security option around the entire property. Ring Video Doorbell 3 always keeps you connected to your home, and hence you can keep eyes over the entire property as well as you can answer the door no matter where you are. It features enhanced resolution and a massive list of capabilities, making it a perfect option for all kinds of scenarios.
- 1080p HD video doorbell with enhanced features that let you see, hear, and speak to anyone from your phone, tablet, or PC.
- An upgrade from the original Ring Video Doorbell 2, enjoy improved motion detection, privacy zones and audio privacy, and dual-band (2.4 or 5.0 GHz) wifi connectivity.
- Receive mobile notifications when anyone presses your doorbell or triggers your built-in motion sensors.
- Powered by the rechargeable battery pack or connects to doorbell wires for constant power.
- Easily setup by connecting your Ring Video Doorbell 3 to wifi through the Ring app and mounting with the included tools.
Ring Video Doorbell – This option is for you if you are tight on budget. It is the most affordable solution which comes packed with a wide array of useful features including an HD camera, 180-degree field of view, Mobile Alerts, Motion Detection, Live View, Two-Way Audio Talking, Night Vision camera, etc. It is also the easiest to install, among other similar products.
Ring Video Doorbell Pro – It is a hardwired device most suited for the people not living in a rented property. It has an ultra-slim design and comes with more advanced features than the original Ring Video Doorbells. Some of the enhanced features include a full HD camera, adjustable motion detectors, and four interchangeable faceplates, among others. Also, it takes more time to install and get it ready.
Ring Video Doorbell Elite – It is a professional grade product that is flush-mounted and is a smart doorbell that is hardwired with Power over Ethernet. Again, being a hardwired product, it is not suitable for rented properties.
- Connect your Ring doorbell with Alexa to hear announcements on your compatible Echo device when your doorbell is pressed and see a live view of your camera if you have an Echo device with a screen. Talk to visitors by saying “Alexa, talk to the front door”
- Lets you see, hear and speak to visitors from your phone, tablet and PC
- Sends alerts as soon as motion is detected or when visitors press the Doorbell
- Connects to ethernet cables for power and internet connection
- Monitors your home in 1080HD video with infrared night vision
Does the Ring Doorbell get wet?
After doing some researches and analyzing the opinions of its users we got quite a mixed response, and we came to the conclusion that Ring Video Doorbell can withstand average rain and splash water but when it comes to heavy rain and continuous water contact then the device is most likely to get wet and will not function properly. According to the official FAQs, the manufacturer has termed it as resistant to rainwater has recommended not to submerge the device underwater.
Let’s dig deeper:
To understand this well, first of all, you will need to understand the difference between being water-resistant, water repellent, waterproof, and weatherproof. In daily life, we come across these terms, and many people often misinterpret the meanings as well as interchange their use as well. Let us get some clarity over these facts:
Water Resistant: It is the primary and the fundamental protection level, which is achieved by a very light coating on the materials. It gives protection against light and occasional contact with water.
Water Repellent: It can be considered as a second-degree protection measure as the surfaces are made hydrophobic, which does not let water stay on the surface and get absorbed or enter inside.
Water Proof: It can be considered as a degree to which an object or a surface can resist water. For electronic devices, the extent of being waterproof is measured in terms of Ingress Protection Rating on a scale of 0 to 9, where each of them stands for different protection levels.
Weather Proof: Being weatherproof means it can withstand day to day weather change as well as wear and tear off to some extent. Weatherproof devices keep working in almost all conditions until it becomes extreme.
What does the company offer?
The product description of the device on its official website is silent on the topic that Can Ring Video Doorbell get wet. Still, the FAQ section has specified that all of their Ring devices are resistant to water and able to withstand strong winds as well as rainstorms. In addition to this, they have specifically mentioned that the device should not be submerged directly into the water.
It means that Yes, Ring Video Doorbell can get wet. Still, it is water-resistant and can withstand regular contact with water and will keep working unless it is entirely submerged underwater. Apart from this, the manufacturer has also mentioned that the device works in freezing temperatures as well, which makes it a more desirable choice.
What do the users say?
To understand this, we analyzed the responses and reviews of different people who are using these devices. One strong opinion that comes from the users is that the device needs a better level of protection from water, which means that the performance of the device is impacted by rain. Most of the users have mentioned that their house does not have a covered porch, and the Ring Video Doorbell installed outside gets wet entirely in the rain, and water drips from it in some cases as well.
How to protect Ring Video Doorbell?
Now, as we have got the answer to our question that is Can Ring Video Doorbell gets wet, its time to know how we can keep our device protected from rainwater or water splash. In this section, we will talk about a few attachments and accessories available out there in the market or on e-commerce websites using which you can protect your device from getting wet. For this, there are three different options-
You are using a transparent silicon or acrylic cover above your device will protect the motherboard of the device and will make your device waterproof to a great extent.
Get a cover for your device, which is now a popular option out there. Using this not only you can protect your device but also add some exciting color or design patterns, which will give it a different look.
You can also use a weather blocking mount for your Ring device. It is a simple accessory that protects your device vertically from sunlight as well as water.
Products for protecting Ring Video Doorbell:
Although there are several products available online and you can choose any of them according to suitability and budget, we are going to list some of them along with their features for you. Most of the products are available on amazon-
CAVN Adjustable Angle Mount
It comes with an angle scale, which means there is an angle table at the top of the mount to save your time and make it easier to adjust your wanted view angle within 30 to 55 degrees.
It is easy to install and comes with a detailed installation guide and the necessary accessories.
It is sturdy and made up of durable material for long-life usage.
- Compatible with Ring Video Doorbell 2 and Ring Video Doorbell Only!!! This angle mount is helpful to improve your motion detection and have a good view of visitors coming to your door.
- Angle Scale: there is an angle table in the top of Angle mount to save your time and make it easier to adjust your wanted view angle within 30 to 55 degree.
- Easy Installation: coming with detailed Installation Instructions and other necessary accessories (Such as stainless steel screws and screwdriver).
- Durable Material: made of special durable material to make sure the long-life using time.
- Turn it over, you can choose to install it in the left side or right side of your door.
QIBOX Adjustable Mount
It is compatible with Ring Video Doorbell 2 (2nd Generation) & Standard Ring Wi-Fi Enabled Video Doorbell (1st Generation).
It comes with angle choice varying between 30 to 55 degrees and can be set directly to have a better view of the visitor standing on your door.
It comes with a detailed guide and instruction to fit it, and it can be completely set up within 15 minutes.
It is made up of good quality material that is resistant to corrosion and has high tensile strength.
- MORE ANGLE CHOICES - QIBOX compatible with Ring Pro corner kits comes with a superior quality angle mount, Ranging from 30 degree to 55 degree to left or right angles with clear marks, which can provide more choices and you can also choose your ideal angle directly so that to improve your motion detection and get a greater view of visitors coming to your door. Especially when you use the angle mount in order to see down and get an excellent view of the walkway, the front yard and all the way out
- ONLY FOR DOORBELL PRO - QIBOX angle mounting bracket is specifically designed to work compatible with Ring Doorbell Pro version only (Not compatible for Ring Doorbell 2 or the other Doorbell).
- HIGH QUALITY MATERIAL - QIBOX Doorbell Pro angle mounting kit PA/ABS material that owns better high hardness, great tensile strength and corrosion resistance. It is sanitary and durable so you do not have to worry it is flimsy and will not be easily broken like the ordinary plastic one.
- EASY INSTALLATION - QIBOX Doorbell Pro angle mount also comes with detailed Instruction, installation can be done within 10 to 15 mins. Every screw hole is well designed and fit the screw well (Use the existed holes for Doorbell, NO additional holes required)
- WHAT ARE INCLUDED IN THE BOX - 1 x Adjustable Ring Pro Angle Mount; 2 x M2.5*12MM Screws; 2 x M3.0*12MM Screws; 2 x M3.5*25MM Screws; 3 x Wall Anchors; 1 x Screwdriver; 1 x User Manual. All the screws are make of the best quality stainless steel to make sure it will not broke off installing.
Wasserstein Weatherproof and UV light Resistant Silicone Skin
It fits like a glove.
It is resistant to water as well as UV light.
It has a more extensive range of color choices, and you can select your favorite color or the one which suits the wall most.
It has holes in it, which means it prevents the device from getting overheated.
- ✔ PROTECT YOUR INVESTMENT - Keep your ring stick up cam protected from harsh elements with our weatherproof and UV-resistant silicone skins (ring stick up cam sold separately).
- ✔ CAMOUFLAGE YOUR RING STICK UP CAM - Choose from a variety of colors to make your ring stick up cam blend in seamlessly with the color tone of your home.
- ✔ EASY SLIP ON MECHANISM - Our unique design allows you to slip on the Skins within seconds. The Skins are durable enough to protect your camera but thin enough not to impair the mount.
- ✔ WASSERSTEIN SAVINGS FOR RING ACCESSORIES – Realize huge savings when you buy two or more of our Ring Accessories - Use discount code RING0EAL at the checkout. Other Ring Accessories include Solar Panel for Ring Stick Up Cam (ASIN: B072LX4LTV) and 6ft Micro USB Extension Cable (ASIN: B0722GZZNX) as well as our Power Adapter for Ring Video Doorbell, Ring Video Doorbell 2 and Ring Video Doorbell Pro (ASIN: B074SK39BW).
- ✔ SATISFACTION - If any of our products fail to meet your expectations, please get in touch with US and we'll try to resolve the issue. If unresolved, you'll get a refund or replacement.
MENGQI-CONTROL Rain Shield
It is a waterproof cover for the access control system.
It is made up of ABS plastic and has a rubber cover over it.
It is lightweight and easy to mount.
It is cheap but will not provide complete protection to your device.
It will provide only vertical cover.
- ABS plastic cover and rubber blanket.
- Product name: Rain shield
- Working temperature: - 40 ~ 60 ° C
- Product size: 135 * 89 * 84 mm
- Waterproof,professional cover for Access Control System Component
Well, the above-listed products are a few that are available on Amazon and can be easily ordered sitting at home. But apart from these products, you can find similar protecting accessories in the local market as well as on other e-commerce websites. The products mentioned above are only, for example, purpose.
Write for us
Are you an expert in Home IoT devices or home decor/Improvement? Check our home renovation write for us Page, to learn how you can become a Storyteller and publish a 500-word article on EmptyLightHome.