There is no doubt that Chamberlain MyQ is one of the best garage door openers for decades. You just need to have a good internet connection in your home all the time to use the Chamberlain MyQ garage door opener. If your garage door opener supports MyQ Smart Garage and MyQ garage, then you can open your garage door directly from your android smartphone or iOS device. Does Chamberlain MyQ Work With Alexa? The answer is both Yes and No.
There is no direct way to use Chamberlain MyQ with Alexa; however, you can connect MyQ with Alexa using IFTTT. To use Chamberlain MyQ with voice commands, some have reverse-engineered the MyQ app to open garage doors with voice commands. However, this is not an ethical way, and Chamberlain may not be liable for any damages. You can face penalties or criminal offense if you do reverse engineering without authorization from MyQ app developers.
- New free in-garage delivery with key by amazon. Prime members in select areas can opt in with the myQ smart garage hub to get Amazon packages securely delivered right inside their garage, simply link your myQ account in the Key app
- Get a $30 Amazon credit. When placing your first In-Garage Delivery, enter KEY30 at checkout to receive a $30 Amazon credit on future In-Garage Deliveries. Promotion applies to eligible Amazon Prime members. Full terms & conditions at amazon.com/keypromo
- Smart garage control open and close your garage door from anywhere with your smartphone through the myQ App
- Universal – Easy-to-add functionality to upgrade your existing garage door opener. Works with all major brands of garage door openers made after 1993 that have standard safety sensors
- Requirements needed to start - a router with 2.4 gigahertz Wi-Fi frequency, router with 802.11 B/G/N, a router within 50 feet of the myQ Smart Garage Hub (more details in PDF user manual)
Reason Why Chamberlain MyQ Doesn’t Work With Alexa
The first reason is security. It would be useless if anyone will be able to open your garage door with just a simple voice command to Alexa. This is a security threat, and Chamberlain MyQ does not want to be liable for theft. Chamberlain does not want its to make their image down in the eyes of others, so this might be the reason why it doesn’t work with Alexa.
No Profit From Alexa
The second reason why Chamberlain MyQ is not working with Alexa is that MyQ is not able to get profit from Alexa. Many reviewers are claiming that Chamberlain MyQ does not want any Smart Home Technology to work with their garage door openers. Upon research, I found that why Chamberlain MyQ invests their money in building API or integration to use Alexa with their garage door when they didn’t get any benefit from it.
- Our most popular smart speaker - Now available with an LED display that can show the time, outdoor temperature, or timers.
- Perfect for your nightstand - Ask Alexa to set an alarm. Tap the top to snooze. The light sensor automatically adjusts the display’s brightness, day or night.
- Voice control your music - Stream songs from Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, Sirius XM, and others. You can also listen to audiobooks from Audible.
- Enjoy stereo sound - Pair with a second Echo Dot for rich, stereo sound. Fill your home with music with compatible Echo devices in different rooms.
- Ready to help - Ask Alexa to play music, answer questions, read the news, check the weather, set alarms, control compatible smart home devices, and more.
However, they may support Alexa in the future if a large number of users start boycotting their product. But I don’t think this would help because Chamberlain MyQ is one of the most selling garages doors openers, and they already have big contracts from companies who resell their products in bulk.
Ways To Use Chamberlain MyQ With Alexa
Using IFTTT To Use MyQ With Alexa
This is the easiest method to connect MyQ with Alexa. If you don’t know what IFTTT is, then read this guide to know everything. IFTTT is a web-based application that can connect different tools with commands. You can even automate the process to make things smarter than they were before. IFTTT stands for “If This Then That.”
However, by using IFTTT, you will only be able to close your door, and you can not open the garage door because it can be a security threat, and Chamberlain does not want them to liability for any theft. You are allowed to close your garage door with your voice command such as, “Alexa, Close Garage Door,” and IFTTT will close the door for you.
Before we get started, you need to connect MyQ to Alexa using IFTTT and create an applet. After that, you need to create a routine in Alexa so that it can trigger the IFTTT applet to close the door. Here are the steps mentioned to use MyQ with Alexa using IFTTT-
1. Start a New IFTTT Applet
2. Add Alexa as the IF Trigger
- Simply click the + Button (IF) and search for the Alexa service in it.
- Now select “Say a Specific Phrase” and Type “Close Garage Door” or anything which you want to say while closing the door.
3. Add MyQ as the Then Action
- Click the + Button (then) and search for the MyQ services in it.
- Now select “Close Garage Door” and choose the garage door you want to control.
- Finally, select the “Create Action,” and you are good to go.
4. Name Your IFTTT Applet and Done!
Now its time to name your IFTTT applet. You can use any name to save it after following all the above steps. Its time to check If all the things are working correctly or not.
Now Say, “Alexa, Trigger close garage door,” and your door will be automatically closed.
Using Raspberry Pi To Use MyQ With Alexa [Not Working]
Raspberry is a portable smart cheap computer that allows you to interact with other devices, and it is used in various projects. To use Raspberry Pi to open your garage door with Alexa, you need to buy many parts and tools which can cost you more than $100.
- Broadcom BCM2711, quad-core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1. 5GHz---4GB LPDDR4-2400 SDRAM
- 2. 4 GHz and 5. 0 GHz IEEE 802. 11B/g/n/ac Wireless LAN, Bluetooth 5. 0, double-true Gigabit Ethernet
- 2 × USB 3. 0 ports, 2 x USB 2. 0 Ports---2 × micro HDMI ports supporting up to 4Kp60 video resolution
- 2-lane MIPI DSI/CSI ports for camera and display--4-pole stereo audio and composite video port--Micro SD card slot for loading operating system and data storage
- Requires 5. 1V, 3a power via USB Type C or gpio-poep (power over Ethernet) enabled (requires PoE hat-not included)
However, it can be tricky for people who have basic understandings. Here is how you can do this-
Note: Unfortunately, this trick won’t work anymore because Chamberlain took down this third party solution.
Alternative Garage Doors Openers That Worked With Alexa
Nexx Garage Door Opener
Nexx Garage Door Opener is a perfect alternative Garage opener for Chamberlian MyQ because it works with Alexa and Google Home. You can close or open your garage door over voice command.
You can Also Create multiple profiles for different users for controlling Garage Door. It also supports geolocation features, which means It will automatically close your garage when you leave. Whenever you came to your garage, it will automatically open the garage door for you.
- CHECK COMPATIBILITY BEFORE YOU BUY: Nexx Garage is compatible with most garage door openers but, before you buy, check compatibility on Nexx website or test following the instructions in the image gallery. 2.4 GHZ WiFi connection is required. Nexx wireless sensor detects up/down motion only.
- OPEN, CLOSE & SCHEDULE your garage door anytime, anywhere while SECURELY SHARING with unlimited friends and family. KNOW YOUR HISTORY – Always know who is coming or going (and when!) and receive notifications if someone has forgotten to close the door. No other product lets you know both WHO & WHEN your garage is accessed!
- ACTIVATE BY TAPPING OR SPEAKING. Control by tapping on the Nexx Home app or giving voice commands to Siri, Alexa or Google Assistant.
- ENJOY INDUSTRY-LEADING CONNECTIVITY with an all-new external antenna for strong, reliable WiFi connection PLUS Bluetooth capability so you can control your garage door even when the internet’s out.
- INSTALL QUICK & EASY WITH ZERO FEES. Automate your garage in 10 minutes or less with our all-new wireless sensor system. There are no hidden fees or ongoing monthly subscription. Even voice activation is FREE!
Nexx comes with a calendar app that helps you to see when and who opens the garage door. So what do you think Nexx is smarter then Chamberlain MyQ or not.
Genie ALKT1-R Aladdin Connect Smart Garage Door Opener
Genie ALKT1-R Garage opener works the same as the Nexx Garage door opener. It’s Almost Similar to Nexx in features. Genie ALKT1-R uses Geofencing technology, which means you don’t have to click any button to open your garage door. Genie ALKT1-R fi mini works on proximity sensors.
When taking your car out from your garage, and after creating a safe distance, it will close the door, and when you came near to your garage, it will open the door for you.
- WIFI ENABLED GARAGE DOOR: The Aladdin Connect garage door controller gives you the ability to monitor, open and close your garage door with your smartphone or smart device from anywhere. Also compatible with Amazon Alexa, & Google Assistant.
- GET THE SMART SECURITY ADVANTAGE: Using a sensor attached to the garage door, Aladdin Connect monitors the garage door’s position, allowing you to be alerted when the door opens or closes – electronically or manually.
- CONTROL UP TO 3 GARAGE DOORS: One door position sensor comes standard in this smartphone controller kit – but you can monitor up to 3 garage doors with additional door position sensors sold separately.
- AUTOMATE DOOR CLOSE TIMES & CREATE VIRTUAL KEYS: Aladdin Connect lets you schedule times to close your garage door as well as close the door after a certain length of time. You can also set up virtual keys for friends, neighbors and relatives!
Genie ALKT1-R also works with both Android and iPhone devices, which means you can control your garage door manually with your smartphone.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can Chamberlain MyQ be paired via Bluetooth?
Yes, You can connect Chamberlain MyQ with your Bluetooth devices. If your Wi-Fi speed is slow, then Chamberlain MyQ required Bluetooth Connection to work correctly.
For this, You have to forget your current Wi-Fi settings then connect your MyQ with Bluetooth Wi-Fi Setup.
Can you link MyQ to Alexa?
This answer is Yes, and No, Chamberlain MyQ does not support direct connection with Alexa Devices, but you can use IFTTT for connecting your MyQ with Alexa.
What devices work with MyQ?
Chamberlain MyQ usually works with iPhone and Android Device, but you can also connect various smart devices with your MyQ, which supports IFTTT services. You can check the complete list of devices here.
What garage door opener works with Alexa?
The Nexx Garage Door Opener works with both Google Home and Amazon Alexa. However, the setup is a little tricky than the Chamberlain MyQ, but it’s worth it. Nexx Garage door opener supports multiple users and comes with many advanced features as well. Overall it is a perfect alternative to the Chamberlain MyQ device.
Can Chamberlain MyQ be hacked?
Yes, Chamberlain MyQ can be hacked if someone able to hack your Wi-Fi connection, or your Wi-Fi has weak security. Chamberlain MyQ is the most secure device and comes with many security layers, but it can be hacked if hackers gain access to your Wi-Fi network.
Is Chamberlain MyQ Safe?
Chamberlain MyQ is safe to use. You need a unique app for connecting with your MyQ. Only because of safety issues Chamberlain not working with Alexa directly.
Can Thieves Open Your Garage Door?
Yes, it can be possible to a burglar to open your garage door in seconds with just a small block of wood and coat hanger. The new garage door safety mechanism is not much more reliable, and it can be tripped from outside of your house. You need to make sure to install a durable and safe Garage door that is impossible to break.
Can Alexa Open My Chamberlain Garage Door?
This question is challenging to answer Chamberlain MyQ does not support direct connection with Alexa. But Chamberlain MyQ and Alexa both support IFTTT. So You can connect MyQ with your Alexa with the help of IFTTT.
Does MyQ Have A Monthy Fee?
It is free of cost to use Chamberlain MyQ. However, if you want to use other home automation devices with MyQ, then you need to pay $1 per month or $10 per year.
Can I Open My Garage Door With My iPhone?
Yes, You can open your Garage Door with your iPhone with the help of the Chamberlain MyQ garage door Opener System. You need to connect your iPhone with Chamberlain MyQ app, and after that, you will be able to open your garage door with your iPhone.
So it was the post about Chamberlain MyQ work with Alexa or not. I mentioned almost everything related to Chamberlain MyQ that will clear all your doubts. However, if you still have some questions in your mind, then feel free to comment below with your queries, and we would love to solve them as soon as possible.